Marshall Pass at Storm's Edge

Image Description

Taken while hiking with the dogs on Thompson Pass as a rain storm was breaking up over our heads. The view is looking toward Marshall Pass in the distance (near the middle of the image). Two quick hand held horizontal shots stitched.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

It was difficult to avoid the corner of a local pond without walking quite a ways forward and it drops off very steeply on the right which would lose the distant mountains on the left side. The weather and light was changing very fast so I went ahead and shot the pano. As it turned out, I kind of like the pond as it shows some local context and seems to be pretty much balanced by the mountains & dark clouds on the right side. I would like to hear other opinions as to whether the pond is a problem or a benefit or neither.

Technical Details

Sony a6300, SEL1670Z @ 16mm (24 mm w/crop factor), ISO-100, f/13, 1/320, 2 hand held shots stitched.

The pond works for me, Gary. I like having it there. This one wasn’t very impressive in the smaller in-post view, but when I popped it open to the larger view it became awesome. The composition really creates a sense of vastness and the hole in the clouds in the upper center helps pull my eye into the frame. Very well done.