McDonald Mosaic

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Chrissy and I made a big Western Canada/ Northwest US loop a number of years ago. While coming down the west side of the Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier NP we pulled over to look at a section of McDonald Creek. After traversing this spectacular road and taking in the majesty of the mountains I thought this would be just a minor diversion. I ended up having a great session shooting the creek bed with various shutter speeds and focal lengths. This was my favorite. >=))>

Specific Feedback

I have not done any significant enhancement to the colors and did use a polarizer to tame the reflections off the water.

Technical Details

Sony A77
Minolta 24-85 @ 85mm, CPL
ISO 400, 1/500 @ f5.6

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Bill, this is really exceptional. The detail through moving water is amazing, the variety of colours is incredible, and the comp perfect. Your polarizer did the trick on any bright reflections.
Superb work!

Bill, from the thumb, I was thinking that this could be Glacier due to the strongly colored rocks. This is a great take that really shows of those colors well. The stained glass window effect of the moving water is excellent.

Truly wonderful!! It’s not easy to bring out this level of detail with gently rippling water.You found perfect light and a wonderful stretch of creekbed. The size of the rocks and the smaller ripples is just right!

Love, love, love! So rich with jewel-like colors overlaid with fantastic patterns.

I agree with everyone here Bill. The colors, the crystal clear water and the patterns of light are so nice in this one. Refreshing and it would hang really well.