Meal(worm) Time

Though I provide mealworms to entice Eastern Bluebirds, just about all birds love them including this male Northern Cardinal. It’s comical to watch them eat these worms. They position them like this one has, then slurp them down like you or I would a strand of spaghetti.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I just thought this was a cute photo. I could do without the second feeder in the background.

Technical Details

Canon R7, Canon RF 100-500mm @ 340mm, f/7.1, 1/500 sec., ISO 800 (Auto). Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping.

1 Like

It is a fun photo, Terry. The cardinal does look like he is enjoying the meal. Love the colors.

Beautiful look at the cardinal; good color and details and nice pose with the meal worm.

I miss these guys. All the books say this part of the country is in their range, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in Wisconsin. Bummer since they are fun to watch, especially when their babies fledge. Then they are run off their feet with begging offspring. Nice head turn you have here and the bright colors are attractive. Good focus on the face and uh, lunch.

Thanks @linda_mellor. I, too liked the colors in the photo.

Thanks @Allen_Brooks. The R7 and RF 100-500 have made it much easier to pull out the finer details.

Thanks @Kris_Smith. Cardinals are so common around here (I sometimes have a dozen or more in the feeders at a time) that I think we sometimes don’t stop to fully appreciate their beauty. And the females are just as stunning in their own way.

1 Like