Medicine Bow National Forest

What technical feedback would you like if any? I tried to capture the stormy sky . Any critiques is appreciated as I have no clue about landscape photography

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Comp OK?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 16-80mm f2.8-4.0 at 16mm (1/320sec at f9.09, Iso 200) Levels, HDR Efex Pro 2 tone mapping, Luminosity masks with curve adjustment for midtones, aligned horizon in Lightroom. Thank you for help…Jim

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A nice, high level scene, Jim. You did a good job capturing the contrasts and textures in the sky and it really makes it a key part of the image. The cut off lake on the right makes me wonder what the rest of it looks like. Maybe you could have shot another frame and stitched them into a panorama?

1 Like

Jim, the Medicine Bow are not one of the “photo hot spots”, but they are an old friend. The stormy sky and the barren mountains look good. With a big scene like this, a pano could work well. The other approach, isolating parts of the scene, is often easier. I see lots of things to try. If you want a mix of the foreground rocks and grass, possibly walking to the left to move those two tall trees to the right side of the triangular mountain might have given you a rock, grass, lake, mountain, sky view framed by the taller trees. Going closer to the lake would eliminate the grass and rocks as it emphasizes the lake, mountains and sky. The grey sky, grey mountains and grey reflection in the lake make for an interesting, somewhat stark landscape

1 Like