Melanurus Wrasse+ RePost

Description:It is 20 degrees, snowy, and dark outsude, so I had to venture into my reef tank to warm up. This is a melanurus wrasse that is transforming into its adult male coloration. I use an off camera flash to light the subject and it provides a more blanced light for capturing natural colors. I introduced this fish so that it would prey on an overabundance of flatworms which are visible on the rock in the lower RH corner of the frame.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: 1D500 105mm f2.8 macro (1/160 sec at f11, ISO 400, flash at full power). Levels, Hue & Saturation, Topaz DeNoise, Brightness & Contrast, slight crop, rubber stamped out blemishes on glass.

Is this a composite?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
4 Likes

All I can say is wow. First for the photo and second for maintaining a reef tank. (drools)

1 Like

Jim, the fish is gorgeous, and the reef just is amazingly beautiful. Love the colors. Amazing shot as well. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

A beautiful fish and a beautiful tank, Jim. Very well photographed. A very small nit: That patch of orange in the lower left is a major eye magnet and as it doesn’t seem to be identifiable to the viewer, I think it could legitimately be removed.

Excellent work.

1 Like

Thank you all for your comments, critiques and EP. Dennis–an easy fix and the repost includes your suggested edit for the photo. The orange spot is a sponge that is growing in a heavily shaded mini-cave. The flash lit it up and my future attempts will be to run the flashes from above which should improve lighting for fish photography…Jim