Memorial

What makes this image expressive?

A typical day i was walking by the beach when i came across some seaweed washed out on the shore, forming a human face and an arch shape that seemed like a ship to me. Instantly this scene felt like a memorial to me for those who where lost at sea and took the picture.

Specific Feedback Requested

I post processed the image using a purple tint that i felt was appropriate for the feeling of grief that i felt. Please make any suggestions you feel comfortable and would improve the overall feeling.

1 Like

I really admire you for this post. It is so easy, and so common these days with landscape photography to glorify the landscape and show scenes that are an exaggeration of the beauty we actually witnessed. This image is the antithesis of that; it is honest, direct and personal.

I know so many times in the past I’ve been walking in nature somewhere and seen something that has triggered a very instant and profound thought in my mind. A resonance with the content, or even just a playful recognition. You take the photo and then realise that you will never share it with anyone, because it’s personal, and just too ordinary.

This is why I admire this. Even the big boot print in the middle of the scene; honest. Did you step in the scene and then recognise it?

The biggest sadness in contemporary landscape photography is that images have to be beautiful to be successful. This is not a beautiful image, but it is the aesthetic of regret, and a sense of loss.

How can we images of pain that are beautiful? Why must we?

I think the image is the way it should be. It is yours and I have no intention of devaluing it by changing it to how I would do it. Own it, it is yours.

Thanks for sharing it, and I hope my feedback is of value to you.

1 Like

Thank you very much Alister for your sincere opinion. As you mentioned sometimes its not the glory of the scene that catches our eyes, but simple things that resonates with our feelings. In these cases creative composition and other ‘rules’ or heavy post processing may damage that feeling and i think its better to leave the scene to speak on its own. In my opinion one must feel that his/her creation mean something to him/her. Its the feelings of the creator that drives him to create, not the feelings of the others. Thank you again for your kind word! BTW the bootprint is not mine!

1 Like

You’re very much welcome and thank you for more of your insightful and supportive words. I appreciate that very much.

I had to ask about the boot, I have to watch my steps all the time to avoid walking through potential images.

1 Like