Mesquite Dunes DV

This image was from last year (had to cancel my trip for this year) during a stormy few days. This was on the way back to the car after a morning of shooting sunrise and I noticed this nice leading line heading to the gap in the background mountains. The sand was also really textured making for a nice wavy pattern in the sand. The wind was blowing moderately, although earlier in the morning it was really howling, enough that I needed a relatively fast shutter speed. I like the color image but this had all the makings of a black and white when I first saw it on the screen.
I’m posting a second image that is only a few feet away and I’d really like to know which image you prefer. Thanks for taking a look.

Specific Feedback Requested

Which image do you prefer

Technical Details

D850, 24-120, 24mm @ f/16, ISO 160

Mesquite Dunes DV

5 Likes

I much prefer the first one, as it does a much better job pulling me into and engaging me in the image. I love the foreground lines and leading dune edge. I would really bump the contrast in it, bringing the black point in quite a bit and really accentuate those lines and get more pop out of the sky. I would also clone out those the two bushes on the right side edge. Well seen.

1 Like

I prefer the first image, I also think it does a better job of pulling the viewers eye through the scene. This is due to the pronounced ridge-line in the dune of course, but also to the foreground dune pattern being more elevated and creating more of 3D look (the foreground dune in image #2 is flatter and conveys less of a sense of depth. In image #2 I think the bush on the left also acts like a barrier blocks the flow of the comp. The dune patterns in image #2 are very interesting, if I was shooting this scene I would have gone down extremely low and close to the sand with a wide lens and exaggerated their patterns.

The only nitpick that I have on image #1 is that the clouds feel cut off at the top, I wish you had left more breathing room above the clouds to create a dark band of sky above, more similar to the way the clouds appear in image #2.

BTW, the B&W processing looks great in both of these, nicely done.

1 Like

I like the first image best. Excellent leading lines and B&W conversion. As already suggested, I would clone out the bush on the right edge as well as the one toughing the left edge.

Definitely the first image for me, David. Those ripples in the sand and that ridge line add some wonderful depth and draw my eye to the BG mountains in this beautiful dunescape. The B&W processing look great and it has a wide range of tones. The clouds also work nicely and add a bit of drama. My only suggestion would be the already mentioned cloning of a couple of the bushes along the right and left edges of the frame. Very nicely done!

It’s really hard to decide between the two. They are both really good. I suppose overall the first is slightly better although the sky is better composed in the second image.

No, I’ll vote for the second image - just for the sky factor.

Thank you @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_Lowe, @Harley_Goldman, @Eva_McDermott, @Ed_McGuirk, for all of your comments and suggestions. I totally agree that the first image needs to be cleaned up with the bushed along both edges. Wow, how did I miss that? :slight_smile: I also agree that the first image’s clouds are a little bit cut off but I was shooting as wide as my 24-120 would go. It was actually the closer shot of the two images and I think that’s why the second image has a little bit more breathing room in the sky. I did not do much with the leading lines of the second image but it’s possible that if I add more contrast they might jump out a little bit more. Thanks again all!

The clouds in the second image are a bit more contrasty. The ones in the first have more volume.

I rarely identify compositional techniques in am image, but to me the first image has at least four high energy triangles, that I find it exciting for that reason as well as for those cited by others.
The second image might also be cool if a fair portion of the clouds were cropped out; the result would go about the lines leading to the mountains.

Both images are exceptional, David. It’s hard to choose a favorite, but I believe I will choose the second one, but I’m not sure I have a good reason. It just strikes a chord with me.

Your processing is excellent in both. Superb work!!! Kudos.

Thanks so much Bill. I appreciate your feedback. Like you I have no good reason for liking one over the other which is why I shared these… To see what others thought. It’s a mixed bag. Oh well. Thanks again.

David Haynes
Superior Foods
Cell:562-716-3204
Office: 909-596-6380

Boy David. It’s a toss-up for me. At first I liked the bold and strong lines of the first one. But the second one, which seems soft and gentle, immediately grew on me. They both look really great. I love it out there. Glad you saw these.