Meteor Coral Work in Progress

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a work in progress as my attempt to do some stacking did not fare well. So I posted a single image taken at f20. I used four flashes and the coral fluoresced orange in spots. Each polyp is about 1.5mm in diameter and I also retained only 25% of the frame.

Technical Details

Z9 105mm f2.8 micro + 1.4x TC (1/200 sec at f20, ISO 400) 4 flashes (1.3ev, -0.3ev, -1.3ev)) DeNoise, crop for comp, sharpen with NiK Raw sharpener, Levels, Curves, reduction in highlights.

Jim, that sounds like quite the undertaking with them so tiny. It is very pleasing to the eye. It looks like little blooms with matching colors of sand. It just makes my imagination work overtime. I hope you can successfully do the stacking and be able to use the full frame or something close to it. I would be thrilled with this shot, but sounds like you are trying for even more.

1 Like

Excellent image, Jim. This is beautiful, but it made me think what the CGI folks could do with it in a horror or sci-fi movie. Do the polyps move too much for the stack?

1 Like

Jim, this is a very good looking cluster of coral. The colors and repeat shapes are very striking. It’s easy to see why you’d try a stack. While your flashes should freeze any motion in a single frame, in a stack when the motion isn’t the same everywhere, the stack ends up with artifacts. You’ve taken on quite a task, best wishes as you move forward. A view like this with edge to edge sharpness will be awesome.

1 Like

Thank you @Dennis_Plank , @Mark_Seaver , and @Shirley_Freeman for your comments and critiques. I was able to get some reasonable, but far from perfect stacks and will be making some modifications to my setup…Jim

1 Like