Miast-ical #6

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Not long after sunrise, the cloudless sky was already enabling the sun to cast harsh light on the landscape. Luckily, there were still some patches of fog remaining in the valleys.
Sugar Hill, NH

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments, suggestions or critiques welcome.

Technical Details

Don’t know the techs, can’t find the raw file.

I like this very much Michael. The sharp foreground really contrasts with the soft, tall tress. The colour, softness and rays of light are great. What I really like is the impression of height the composition brings.

I am 50/50 on the “wrap around” feel of the shot. On one hand I like the way the tress tend to lean into the shot; on the other hand the technician in me wants to fix the distortion.

1 Like

Mike,
Wonderful mood with the rays and light fog that morning. I believe this was on our first trip; which turned out to be pretty fruitful; to NH. My version is pretty similar to yours except a little more exposed. I think the “wrap around” that @Jaded62 is noticing is due to the location of the sun as the tree trunks that I can see look pretty straight and I was shooting with a 200 mm in DX mode. Anyway, nice addition to your Mist-ical Series.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments @Ed_Lowe and @Jaded62 . I don’t think there is any distortion in the image. I was probably using around 300mm, so wide angle distortion was a non issue. I think the fan pattern of the rays kinda contributes to the illusion. Here is an image with a shorter focal length.

1 Like

Mike, the mix of light and shadow in the trees is indeed nicely mistical and it contrasts well with the sharp foreground. Between the long shadows and the softness from the fog there’s a sense of dancing in the trees.

What an interesting effect Michael. I can see where @Jaded62 is coming from; it’s a bit of an optical illusion the way the streaks of sunlight and shadows are angled.

That second image is pretty good too!

I do wish there was just a touch more brightness on those lupine so they showed a bit of color, but realize that with this lighting that was tough. Maybe just a dash of shadows/highlights?