Mist-ical #7

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Inspired by John Williams, I decided to try my hand at a B&W conversion. Ed And I try to time our visits to Blackwater Falls SP to coincide with rainy conditions. After the rain passes through, mist usually rises from the canyon below.

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments, suggestions or critiques welcome.

Technical Details

Nikon D200, 300mm, 1/100 @ f/11, ISO 100

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Where have you been hiding this beauty Mike? I like the peaceful vibe with the fog and the diagonal ridgeline works very nicely in the scene. The soaring bird is perfectly placed in the rising mist and is a big plus in the image. The B&W treatment looks great and has a nice range of tones. No suggestions from me.

Black and white is the perfect choice for this image. The diagonal relationship between the dark and the light create dynamism while the shifting mist gives the picture a sense of enormous depth and vitality. It would be a pretty compelling picture without the soaring bird but the bird adds immeasurably to the feeling of expanse (i.e., scale) and wilderness. Wonderful image.

Michael, What place to be !! And yes that bird makes your image special to me

I really love this image, Mike!!

I think black and white is the perfect choice. The composition with the diagonal is great, and the bird is perfectly placed and adds very much to the feel of this landscape. I also love the different tones of the tree foliage, the trees just revealed in the lower right and the texture of the clouds is also perfect. I don’t see anything that can be improved, so no suggestions…

Michael,

Choosing B&W was the right way to go with this photo. It best captures the mood. But I think the inclusion of the bird is what really makes this photo. The bird lends a sense of scale and imparts a sense of silence, if that make any sense, and sometimes you need silence in a photo for the viewer to feel what you saw.

How much would I have to pad the deal to get you to trade images? :wink:

This is excellent, and I really like how your raptor is a central part (mine feels a bit more like the accident that it was). Your conversion looks great and fits the mood of the photo well. My only thought to play with would be to vignette that llc more, so that the flow of light was more pronounced from that corner up to the urc with the bird.

I don’t know the birds in that area well, but based on that silhouette I would call it an eagle if it was around here. Were you able to ID it?

Michael, this is a great view. The rising mist/fog and the mix of close and far trees would be nicely inspirational on their own. The soaring (looks like a black vulture from the lighter wing tips) bird takes that sense of soaring over the top. The dark lower left to bright upper right eye movement adds nicely to the soaring feeling. The sparkling tree tips add interest also.

Thnks @Mark_Seaver , @Youssef_Ismail , @Ben_van_der_Sande , @John_Williams , @gerard , @Ed_Lowe , @Kerry_Gordon , for the nice comments and suggestions.
@Ed_Lowe , this was on the card I discovered from a solo trip a few years ago. Taken @ Pendelton Point,.

@John_Williams , there was no great skill in taking this photograph. I was just mesmerized by the glowing trees and the rising mist and the bird just happened to fly into the frame. Single shot, was focused on the trees. Didn’t have time to adjust AF or frame rate. Sometimes I guess it’s just better to be lucky than good. :rofl:
I am 99.99% sure it’s a vulture.

1 Like

Excellent wildlife come landscape image with the silhouetted bird captured against swirling mist in the upper triangle and the texture of the woodland in the lower triangle. A picture of two halves which closely relate to each other and keep the whole image cohesive. Good stuff.