Michigan State Parks Series - Warren Woods

This image was taken as part of my project to photograph every Michigan State Park. This park is really more of a nature preserve than a state park, so there wasn’t much to work with. (The river is advertised as the main highlight of the park.)

Specific Feedback Requested

This park didn’t seem very “photogenic” to me. Did I get something good enough?

Technical Details

ISO 1000, 150 mm, f/6.3, 1/200s
I made some minor light adjustments in Luminar NEO.

1 Like

Hi Matthew,

This is a very pleasing image. I like the tempered greens (you didn’t over saturate! There is a nice balance between the overhanging tree, the water/reflections and the far shore.

Honestly though as far as your stated goal, I don’t see this one as indicative of any specific location. This image could have been taken anywhere. It’s a nice scene, but not sure it represents this particular park. If that makes sense.

No suggestions for improvement, although I suppose you could burn down the ULC a tad. But that’s pretty picky.

Lon

A friendly reminder too that it would be helpful if you considered commenting on some members images as well. It’s amazing what we can learn my viewing and commenting on other’s work.

That was kind of the feeling I had of the park in general. Namely, this is going to be the same as photographing the river that runs through the park system back home. However, I would also say that I am not going for iconic images from any given park. More that I would like someone who has been to the park a few times to look at it and say, “That looks nice. I wonder where it is.” So many people who visit the parks in Michigan only go the the beach and campground. There is so much more to see.

Will do. I would like to learn a bit more first, but I will do my best to get some comments out there. (I studied many of the critiques over the winter, and I agree there is much to learn by doing so. I am just a little hesitant to critique an image myself since I still starting out.)

1 Like