Miffed (+1 stacked image)

Description:

This marbled orb weaver was not happy when I moved her off the top of the shed door. She kept her legs clenched in like this until I left her alone. Sorry, but you’re too pretty to pass up - one of the more colorful individuals I’ve seen lately. IRL her body is the size of a really big pea. Maybe 1cm across or a little less. I have these branches from my liches sessions that I placed her on so I kind of like how she’s peeking out at you. There’s a little filtered sunlight on her as well.

Specific Feedback Requested:

I have a few bracketed sessions of her as well, but haven’t processed them yet. Maybe tomorrow if we get crap weather. So is the narrow DOF too narrow??

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No

Beanbag support on deck coffee table

Cropped in Lr and processed for black/white points, texture & clarity. Raised the mids and added some sharpening and a touch of nr. Saturation slider on 0, vibrance around 14.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@the.wire.smith

Kris, for whatever the reason, I can’t enlarge right now, but I sure do like this shot. The way he is peaking through the branches, he even looks miffed. Nice shot.

Good look at this critter. The dof works for me, and I like your staging.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman & @terryb - I’ve put up a replacement shot that enlarges.

Thanks about the staging. I had her in a yogurt cup while I looked around. She spun an amazing amount of of silk all over, too. The branches are all loosely bound now. Funny.

1 Like

Thats a lot and lot of detail of this beauty and its head and the fine hairs standing out. Nice work

Balan Vinod

1 Like

Oh Kris, the face is really cool. Wonderful sharpness where needed, so I am good with the DOF.

1 Like

Cute!! (And its not often I’ll say that about a “spidey”.) I love the suspicious/cautious crouch. You found a great setting for her. The DOF is OK but I do wonder if a little more would be more interesting. Not sure she’s still willing to pose for you, through.

1 Like

Thanks @Balan_Vinod, @Shirley_Freeman & @Diane_Miller - the setting is kinda accidental, but I like it. And to me she is cute as are most spiders since I love them. A deeper DOF image coming up -

My Strawberry Blonde - a 19 image stack using Zerene. It’s the only one I got where she or the branch itself didn’t move. Shot w/a 4-step interval for a 0/+ focus bracketing session. Used all 19 shots starting with her eyes. I had to concentrate on the most important part of her rather than try for a lot in front or behind her and I’m not sure how that works. Thoughts?

After the stack I did a little work with exposure and cropping and a light vignette.

Wow, this is amazing, Kris. The details in her face and body are really nice.

1 Like

Second image is perfect. I like to see the entire in sharp focus and the stacking results gets it done nicely. First image is artsy, but second is artsy and technical at the same. Awesome…Jim

1 Like

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman and @Jim_Zablotny - She was patient with me after I moved her a second time for another go at some stacking after my first try didn’t work out. I like seeing more of her, too, since she’s so vividly colorful.

1 Like