Migration Moon

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Each Fall, thousands of tree swallows gather at dusk near Old Lyme, Connecticut, performing an aerial ballet above the Connecticut River, then, as if on signal, they quickly drop down to Goose Island to spend the night .

Specific Feedback

All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Fuji X-H2, ISO 3200, f/8, 1/500, XF70-300mm with 1.4 extender, HH from kayak.
Post processing included adjustments to exposure, clarity, and noise reduction. Cropped to reduce black space.

1 Like

Jim, this photo tells quite a story, with all the birds, the tree line silhouette and the “celestial orb”. I am thinking that it’s the sun in the frame, since I don’t see any of the crater details that I expect in a full moon rising view. If that’s the case, then I’d suggest watching the timing of the birds to see if they’re around either one or two days before the full moon. Then you’ve have the nearly full moon in the sky behind you and that might let you get away with lower iso (for less noise). Sounds like a great experience!

Thank you for your comments @Mark_Seaver. Actually, that is the moon rising in the East; I’m guessing the lack of visible craters is due to poor focussing. In retrospect, probably should use MF at that time of day. A minute later, the moon went from orange to yellow.

Wow, is that’s a "cloud"of birds at the top. The lack of craters indicates an over exposure of the moon…been there and done that multiple times… I went back through old files and find good full moon views with detail at 0, -1 and -2 EV. It depends on how much other light there is and getting a fast enough shutter to freeze the moon, with you did in your original post. The subtly colored clouds are a nice addition to your second post, now if only the birds were lower… :wink: