Sandhill Cranes with full moon

Description:I was photographing the Sandhill Cranes landing over the Crane Pool at Bosque in the late twilight. Some were coming in from the north and circling for their landing. As some crossed near the moon behind me I began shooting looking for some actually crossing with the moon behind. This is one of probably 50 “near misses”.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Fuji X-T3, 100-400 @ f9, 1/1000, iso 5000 214mm fee. Moderate crop.
Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

This is wonderful! Catching the one bird in front of the moon really makes this image. Quite a feat.

Thanks, with BIF images there is definitely an element of luck involved.

I really like the arc of birds across the upper sky. Of course the silhouette against the moon is fab, too. If this is cropped you could go looser both in front of and behind the birds. If not adding canvas in Photoshop might help as well. Brilliant shot.

Welcome back Craig. This is a terrific image, well seen and captured.

Gorgeous image, Craig! I love how you were able to capture the one crane silhouette in front of the moon and the rest are perfectly placed for you! As if it was choreographed!

This is definitely not a “near miss”, Craig. The moon looks great and the birds are well spread through the frame, including the one in front of the moon.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on the image. I haven’t been active this last year and have missed getting input from my fellow photographers.

A nice take on the fly in at Bosque. Tough to get the cranes to cooperate with the moon, but you came really close on this one!

You know them very well. They are one of my favorite birds. Now if they would cooperate a little more with their dance moves…

A wonderful way to show off both the cranes and the moon!