Moonlit

A friend and I went to Bosque del Apache last month and ended up getting there a few days before we’d planned. One of them happened to coincide with a full moon that was low enough for a few cranes to cross it on their way into the crane pool for the night. I probably should have been on high speed burst for this effort as I didn’t manage to catch either of this pair completely in front of the moon, but I still like this one.

Specific Feedback Requested

I brought the leading crane up a bit as I wanted it to stand out against the dark sky just a bit. There was still a fair amount of light in the sky, but to get the moon looking right I darkened it quite a bit. I’m not sure if the lighting adjustments work or not.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 @ 576 mm, monopod, Tripod, f/6.3, 1/1250, iso 4000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 5432x3648.

Hello, Dennis, what a shot ! Actually I think it all works well: the one crane touching the rim of the moon, but still standing out nicely and the other bird making this more that the standard ‘bird-against-the-moon’ shot - I love that it’s just off the standard composition - and like it for that ! Well done, Hans

Pretty cool shot Dennis.

I hope you were there for the next morning as the moon set over the Chupadera Mountains with great morning glow. Many folks in our group captured some outstanding images of that scene.

Wow, what a shot. I’d be “over the moon” to get a shot like this. Good job on the techs and processing.

Hi Dennis, yes this processing works well I think with the moon and bird in front showing quite well. I like having the lead bird also - adds another point of interest.