Sandhill crane - Bosque morning light

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took this image last November along with over 5000 others. I still have over 1000 not culled or processed and this was one of them. I was pleased to find this one. The morning was really cold and the light difficult.

Specific Feedback

This image probably needs more space in front of the bird.

Technical Details

Z6ii
Sigma 150-600 contemporary (600mm)
1/1250 sec
f/9
ISO 6000
Topaz DN
PS new remove tool to get rid of the bird feet directly in front.

2 Likes

Wow! That is dramatic light! Suited to the dramatic capture! A bit of canvas could be added on the left but the aspect of a closeup portrait makes it an option, for my tastes. Well done! And yes, it’s cold there at sunrise. Beyond cold.

Fantastic light on the wings, showing excellent detail. I like the flying pose, but would like to see more flying room both front and back. I think more room would give a more dynamic feel to the image. Hope you find more gems in the other 1000.

Wonderful lighting on a beautiful bird. I actually like the tight crop. It shows off the bird’s wing feathers very nicely.

Thanks to @Diane_Miller, @Charles_Bell , @Allen_Brooks . I was amazed that I took such a nice photo and appreciate your comments. The ISO was 6400 not 6000. I am still going thru the other neglected images!

It is beautiful light with a strange angle to light up the underside of the back wings. Great detail. I’m in the camp of more room in front of the bird. It also seems slightly tilted down toward the right, although that may be an illusion. I’d be delighted to discover that image in my catalog.

Hi Daniel, love the soft light here creating a dynamic affect. Nice muted BG too. I’d add more room in front if this were mine.

You caught some awesome light on this bird, Dan. Like others, I don’t think you need to add canvas, but it might depend on how you present it. If you want to print and frame it a careful selection of mat color would be necessary to make sure it doesn’t present a wall for the bird flying into. I don’t think a canvas or metal print without a frame would be a problem.

I’ve been there half a dozen times and never managed to catch light quite this nice or from such a wonderful angle.

Hi Daniel
I have no problem with the framing. So many time I taken a photo in the early morning and felt the need to rebalance the shot and in this case I would have been wrong. The lighting really makes the shot.
Peter

This is great, Daniel! :slight_smile:

Really spectacular lighting conditions! It may sound odd but the way the wings are positioned creates an overall shape that reminds me of a lamp shade, especially the way the light is striking the underside of the right wing and glowing through the flight feathers of the left wing.
Sounds like you had an awesome trip even though it was so cold.
Looking forward to other images you deem worthy from that collection. :slight_smile:

Awesome!