Three Cranes at Dawn

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and All.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and All.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Taken early morning at Bosque del Apache.
Nikon 810. Nikkor 200-500 f5.6. f9.0, 400 mm, 1/1600 sec, ISO 800

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig cheryl_a_kuhl

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Beautiful photo! Good control of tones. I might crop a little off the right to give them a little more nose room.

Nice image of the cranes. I like the fact that the heads of the 3 cranes don’t merge. Nice exposure. I do wish for a bit more room on the bottom, but I’m guessing it isn’t there in the original frame. Oh well. Still very nice.

Oh wow, Cheryl, three for the price of one. Very nice. I love the position of their heads, and the nice splash of water that they are making. The tones and lighting are very nice. I too would like a bit more space at the bottom so that their reflections aren’t cut off, but it is an image I would be very pleased with if I were the photographer. Nicely done.

Excellent, Cheryl. The action is great and it’s very unusual to get three lined up so nicely. Your depth of field is perfect. I wasn’t sure about the composition-I thought maybe reversing the direction or a slightly looser crop might work better, but when I tried them, I preferred your version.

You’ve certainly captured the wonderful light of Bosque. Excellent detail and positioning of the cranes. Water splashes are great. I could see a bit more room on the left for them to fly into. I kinda wish the reflection wasn’t there and feel that more reflection on the bottom would be a distraction from the excellent image of the cranes. I’ll echo Shirley, an image I’d love to have.

Thanks Ronald, always good to have another set of eyes. When you get familiar with an image, it just gets confusing. Odd thing is that I just added a little on the right side before posting, thinking it was a bit crowded on the right.

Thanks Keith. These guys really filled the frame…who can anticipate a crane or three.

A beautiful image, I like it a lot. I think you did the right thing to add a little on the right side, but the patterns are repeating a bit and give away that you added it in post-processing. Maybe I would add a little at the left side as well, to give the cranes a bit extra space in the direction of their flight.

Wonderful colors in this action shot ! Well done, Cheers, Hans

Beautifully captured Cranes here Cheryl. All three in a line and they do not seem to merge together. Crisp details in the wings and heads. As some others have mentioned, it would have been nice to she their reflections in the water at the bottom of the image. Great motion capture with them taking off. Nice warm tones through out and the red faces really stand out with this. The wings have captured the light very nicely and they are crisp as the edges. I salute for the a beautiful capture.

Thanks Todd. It helps to have another set of eyes. Lack of full refection is the price paid to fill the frame. I will be a bit more generous next time!

Beautiful shot, Cheryl! What a great opportunity to capture 3 cranes taking off at once and in such gorgeous light! You really made the best of it also. Heads and eyes are all visible and even more surprising, they are all in focus! Even at f/9.0 that’s hard to do. I think it would look even better without the addition on the right side as it would show them more like entering the frame with the heads in the center rather than almost leaving the frame with the heads to the left side. Killer shot, either way!

1 Like