Sandhill Cranes - Bosque Del Apache

Taken last year at Bosque Del Apache in New Mexico. Was only second or third time I’ve shot wildlife. I’m hoping to get back out there this Thanksgiving.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Shot on Sony A7RIII with rented 100-400 Sony lens. ISO 1600; 400mm at f5.6. Cropped in from full image.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@abuko_d_estrada

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Very nice capture of these Sandhill Cranes, Abuko. I love the way you captured them both looking upward together. Having an out of focus one in the background is out of focus enough that I like that it is there, telling me there are probably more in the area. Nice lighting.

1 Like

Hi Abuko, I also like the capture of this duo in an interesting pose. The birds are set off well from the golden vegetation. I’m not a fan of the bird in the background - draws my eye and is a distraction from the behavior of the two main birds to me. The birds themselves seem to have a good bit of noise in the plumage in the largest version - makes me wonder if this was a sizable crop or heavily sharpened. Still a fine behavioral capture.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN and the Avian forum Abuko. You certainly got some gorgeous Bosque light. You picked a wonderful place to get into wildlife photography. I really like the calling poses and the detail and exposure both look good. I do wish the third crane had gotten out of your way, but these things happen so fast that it’s difficult to do much about the background sometimes.

I’m looking forward to seeing more of your work and your comments on others’ images.

1 Like

I love how the background is blurred Abuko, it brings focus right to the subject. I am not sure on the bird in the background, it is good that that one is out of focus.

1 Like

Beautiful image, Abuka ! The pair is wonderful, the 3rd bird in the background adds a sense of the surroundings. Great and warm colours in the image. Love it ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’m excited to get out to the Bosque again next month and photograph more cranes with your tips in mind!

I like the image a lot. For me, the 3rd bird in the background is definitely a bonus. In general, I prefer to see birds/plants in their surroundings. Great colour, nice typical pose of the 2 birds in the FG.

1 Like