Cranes at Sunrise

Bosque Del Apache sunrise. Waited until the sun just crested the horizon and hoped for some cranes to fly through. Nice to get a set of three with decent wing positions. Cropped a bit from the top.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus EM-1 Mark III
40-150 f/2.8 at 150mm

1/4000, f/7.1, ISO 640

1 Like

Difficult shot looking into the sun and exposed well due to that…
Nice spacing of the birds and about as good as wings as you can get from 3…
Nice use of “wide” angle lens…

Lovely! It’s making me homesick…I’ve gone there the last two Decembers, but not this year. Any lift off activity at the flight deck?

Hi @Tony_Siciliano Yes, some activity at the flight deck pond. It is a very different year there. New Mexico is in the midst of a tough drought so water at the refuge is being managed very carefully. The “crane pools” on Highway 1 are dry and will probably not be flooded this year unless we somehow get a bunch of water soon. Not likely. :frowning_face:

Lovely image, Keith. The cranes are very nicely positioned in the frame and the sunrise exposure is excellent.

A great sense of place and time. Obviously this took thought and planning, so congratulations on getting a great shot from your effort. Hope to get back there some day.

Briljant image, Keith. I love the overall atmosphere and the mixture of birds and nature. Excellent job ! Cheers, Hans

A really nice flight shot. Cranes really look like they are gliding in on a flight path. I like the inclusion of the ducks on bottom and it might be an idea to do a bit of removal on bottom edge. And as mentioned it is really nice to see your setting for shooting into the sun as it pokes up.
Lovely image.

Wonderful composition! Really helps to be in the right place at the right time.