Cranes Returning

Fuji X-T3, 100-400mm @ 143, f9, 1/1600, iso 5000

Imported and converted to tif with Capture One then LR for crop. Noise reduction with NIK.

Thanksgiving weekend in Bosque. The Sandhills returning to the pond. Sunset was very colorful and had some nice images but behind me small groups would cross near the moon. Finally some cooperated and lined up where I wanted them. A simple image but one I’d been trying for the last few years… so this became one of my favorites and makes a nice screen saver for me.

2 Likes

Definitely a favorite, Craig. Very cool to catch the crane in front of the moon and I like the vague silhouettes of the others. Excellent image.

Great timing, Craig. I go there every fall but never think to plan it for a favorable moon. Works very nicely.

Thanks Dennis & Bill. Sandhills are one of my favorite birds to photograph. My son and daughter in law now live in Socorro as scientists at NRAO so I get over to Socorro and Bosque on a regular basis from here in San Diego ( where we have lots of Pelicans, but no Sandhills).

One big Wow here, Craig. Love it in all respects. Etherial shot ! Cheers, Hans

Terrific timing with the crane in front of the moon, Craig. Having enough light to show off the other birds clearly while retaining detail in the moon is also a matter of careful timing. You’ve also got a good distribution of birds in the frame. Easy to see why this is a favorite.

Mark, Hans thanks. However this was not a “one shot wonder”… I’m not that good or lucky. I was tapping the continuous high speed periodically as Cranes flew near the moon, partially over the moon with no separation, had poor posture, etc. I have gotten past my spray and pray days fortunately for slower birds.

Your persistence paid off with a beautiful image, Craig. The cranes are spread out nicely and you have just enough detail in the birds. I can see why this is a favorite of yours.

Thanks Ed. For Cranes and Pelicans, I feel like one can see separation in the field but with faster birds I never know until I see them on the monitor. Now if I can just shoot with both eyes open, etc. etc. I never knew BIFs were so much work.