Sky with Cranes

Sunrise along the Platte river in Nebraska, 2017 during the spring Sandhill Crane migration. I may have posted this previously, but I couldn’t find it on the archived site.

I love this shot Dennis. Wonderful wing positions on the cranes - you captured every position! The use of silhouette is great for this. I used to work a Creamer’s Field in Fairbanks Alaska - this brings back great memories of cranes.

Beautiful! Such graceful birds against a colorful sky.

The formation of cranes fits very well with the streaks in the clouds here, Dennis. A lovely catch on the cranes and the sunrise. (On consecutive days last month, I watched two flocks of about a 100 cranes circle up and head south from the north side of Yellowstone. Their guttural calls are so striking.)

I really like the composition, separation, body position and the clouds are terrific. These are about my favorite bird to photograph right now… so graceful when flying and so ungainly when landing. The bird count at Bosque a couple of weeks ago was ~5000 Sandhills and ~10,000 Snow Geese… but the skies were fairly uninteresting except for one night.

Bosque is certainly a great place to shoot them, Craig. I particularly like it when there’s some ice on the ponds, though I suspect the cranes have a different opinion.

This is a beauty, Dennis. The silhouetted sandhill cranes works perfectly with the colorful sky as a back drop. I also like that you left more space in front of the cranes rather than behind. Wonderful image.

Beautiful silhouette shot, Dennis! I love the sharp birds against the soft sky and the composition is just right. weel done!