Milky Way panorama

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I had a lot of favorites this year, but this one is special because it was only on this trip to the dark skies and high altitudes of the Eastern Sierra that I finally managed a Milky Way panorama. A month earlier would have been better, as it was almost too high by dark to fit in the framing. This is from the Alabama Hills and the BG light is Lone Pine.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 9.03.05 AM

Pano of probably about 10 frames with a lot of overlap, camera in vertical orientation. Nothing heroic in the processing. I did some slight tonal revisions to the original that I posted at the time.

Diane: I really want to get into astral photography and your images inspire me. This is incredibly beautiful. I do wonder if making Lone Pine go away might be possible since it does pull my eye away from the heavens a bit. Still way better than anything I’ve ever done. Top notch shot. >=))>

Thanks, @Bill_Fach! It’s a bottomless pit but a great exploration! Happy to offer any advice, I could turn off the lights but I’m happy to have some hint of a midground. This is hobby that is best pursued from the mountains of Montana, (Fair warning!)

Beautiful photo, @Diane_Miller That is a hard one to capture. The panorama work out very well.