Miss Muffet

This is another image from the same trip to the Columbia River Gorge region with @Steve_Kennedy at the end of May. We had hoped to find some rhododendron, but they weren’t near ready. We did find some late trillium though. Despite the spider photobombing the scene, this is mostly flora; hopefully it’s okay here?

Specific Feedback Requested

The flower I found the spider on was just past prime. I cloned out a couple small defects in the petals, but you can still see some wear around the base. Is that problematic?

Does the composition seem balanced enough with the tree to one side and the background flower to the other?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Technical Details

NIKON Z 7II
NIKKOR Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 VR at 100.0 mm
1/30 sec. at f/8.0 and ISO 64

Truth in Blending Statement: This is a focus stack of 15 images.

1 Like

Well done, John. This is a terrific comp with the spider just a nice addition. Nice work on the focus stack especially in deciding when to stop so that you have a nice blurred background. No nits here, this is stunning.

Hi John! This came out really well. Great lighting and detail in both blooms and a nice blur in the background. The spider also has excellent detail and is a good addition. Well done!

A lucky find! Looks like Western white trillium (Trillium ovatum) which is similar to the Great white trillium we have here. The petals are straighter and don’t have wavy edges, but they both turn pink as they age. I like the way you’ve managed to isolate these with the small tree behind - not an easy feat sometimes. The crab spider is a great addition, IMO. I always love a sneaky spider in my flower photos. So much sharpness here throughout and then a nice fall off. Super light, too.

Very nice balanced composition, and wonderful sharpness with nice control of DOF. Wonderful whites and I love the bespoke spider! The bits of aging don’t bother me at all – they tell a story.