Purple Pitcher Plant Flower

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken at Spruce Lake Bog in Wisconsin. I have always had difficulty find a good flower to photograph without walking on the bogs. This along with many others were easy to access off the boardwalk. My favorite part of this is the spider looking out at me. Little did it realize that this is a carnivorous plant.

Technical Details

Hand held with macro lens and processed in Lightroom.

This looks like a big one! And it’s probably been pollinated since the bracts are dropping off. Cool find and quite colorful, too. Possibly the red channel is clipping so you might want to check the histogram. I LOVE the photobombing jumping spider! So long as it stays out of the deadly leaves, it will be fine since the flowers are just for reproduction. You say you were on a boardwalk and so probably couldn’t get far from the flower, but you don’t say what aperture you used so I would try to get a wider one next time if it works and get farther away if possible. The bg is a bit busy and while gives some cool habitat info, kind of distracts from the star of the show. You got the texture on the middle part to show up nicely.

1 Like

Wow! Thanks for sharing this flower that I have never seen, or heard of, before. How interesting. The colors are vivid and the flower is so unique. I see the bit of a spider there, very cute. Add’s interest to the shot. Thank you again for sharing this!

1 Like