Mistaya Canyon Water Fall

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the way I was able to capture this particular water fall along the course of the cascades of the Mistaya Canyon River. I am satisfied with the capture and edit.

Creative direction

Here I slowed the water fall using a neutral density filter to create the smooth, silky appearance of of the fall and still have just enough detailed lines in the falling water to provide some definition. I also like the contrast of the “softened water” to the detail of the surrounding rock that gives the falls their shape.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback is welcomed.

Technical Details

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. Lens: EF28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM @ 65.0 mm, f/11.0, 1/5 sec. ISO 100. A neutral density filter was used. Processed using Photoshop and Topaz .

Description

This image was captured during a workshop to Banff and Jasper National Parks in the Mistaya Canyon.

1 Like

Hi Robert, this is a well-seen and well processed image. I love the flow, the shutter speed was great to retain texture and detail while still capturing the energy of the flow. I like how the water comes in from upper right and as it drops it is ‘squeezed’ between the rock formations. Lighting and processing are all very good!

2 Likes

Thank you, Brenda for your kind words and comments. Bob Engle

Hi Bob! I love everything about this image, except, the crop is too close to the bottom edge of the frame. A small zoom out and a small turning down of the camera would fix that, giving you balance at all 4 edges. I always enjoy seeing glacial color in water, and you have a small coloration in the falls. The natural light is perfect for this type of scene as I’m sure you know. The exposure of 1/5 sec appears to be good enough to slow the water but not too much leaving some detail in the flow. I hope that you worked this scene making various exposures. Good job!

2 Likes

Thank you again Tony for the kind words and advice. Bob Engle

You are very welcome, Bob.