Mists rising from Porcelain Basin

B&W:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On a clear, cool morning with little wind, the hot mists rising from the springs, geysers and fumaroles in Yellowstone’s Porcelain Basin were quit striking. Both Norris and Mamoth Hot Springs change noticeably over just a few months. While not shown in this photo, there were two new geysers (not seen in Nov. 2023) nearby that were erupting constantly

Specific Feedback

I like that most of the mist clouds where nicely separated even as the multitude occupy the majority of the frame.

Technical Details

R5, 24-105 @ 41, 1/500 s, f/16, iso 800

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Mark, amazing to see how many geysers are going in this scene. I have to think about all the generations who have had a chance to witness this area in real time. Lots of history here needless to say. Every time you post a geyser area such as this I think about how brutal some of the events were in that book; " Death in Yellowstone: Accidents and Foolhardiness"… :skull_and_crossbones:

Lovely scene, Mark. Great exposure control to keep a lot of texture in the geyser/ hot spring clouds.

What a crazy place. I’ve never been, and really need to wander that way some day. That steam vaguely reminds me of an industrial scene. Are those trees alive? If not, did they die from the geyser activity?

This is pretty cool. I thought it was going to be a Yellowstone postcard image but this really has an out of this world look to it. The bent trees help with that look. This is pretty amazing actually. I wonder if, with all that white, this would make a good b&w image.

@John_Williams , yes those dead or barely alive trees show the effects of undergound hot water. Where the hot, acidic water is near the surface, nothing lives.

@Igor_Doncov , there definitely a Dante’s Inferno feeling to this part of the basin when the air cold.

For me, (maybe because I was there…) the color version captures the chill, while the B&W version feels a bit more dramatic and shows the details in the mist clouds better. (Good idea Igor.)

Mark,
Both images are lovely , but the drama in the B&W is amazing. I love the details in the plumes of mist and you could not ask for better spacing around the scene. I also think the wide range of tones intensifies that drama. No suggestions from me. Beautifully done.

Porcelain Basin is such a cool place. For me the b&w works better, I think because it makes the steam clouds stand out more. I love the bent trees in the foreground.