Misty Blackwater Canyon

Description:

Due to Covid this year Mike and I were not able to make our usual June trip to NH and ME. We wound up going to Blackwater Falls SP in WV for two days. We timed our trip for some rainy weather hoping for some mist in the valleys along with some decent water flows. This is another of my favorites for the year as it captures some lovely atmospherics and accentuates the mood I was going for.

Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 200mm, f 16 @ 1/100 sec, ISO 100, cable release & tripod

Specific Feedback Requested:

I am happy with the image, but if you notice anything please let me know.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite?
No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Ed, easy to see why this is a favorite. The mist, the ridges and all the green come make a nicely moody image.

Beautiful, Ed. I love the light in the canyon.

I love these kind of foggy scenes and you did a great job with this one, Ed! It seems you captured exactly the mood that you set out to find. The exposure is excellent on this shot as it captures all the detail of the fog without blowing the highlights and still shows the necessary detail in the shadowed foreground. I also appreciate that you submitted a large enough version that you can click a second time and zoom in for more detail, such as the rivulets of fog flowing down through the trees in the far background.