Misty Oak

This is another image from the trip @Steve_Kennedy and I took last year. While we were waiting for the fog to clear in the Klickitat River Gorge, we played with the oak forests along the road.

Specific Feedback Requested

I find both forest composition and fall oak saturation to be difficult and would love any thoughts on either/both.

As always, all thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
NIKON Z 7II
NIKKOR Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 VR at 61.0 mm
0.5 sec. at f/7.1 and ISO 64

Truth in Blending Statement: Three images blended for depth of field with Helicon Focus 7.

5 Likes

Lovely image and mood, John. Only minor suggestion I’d offer would be a slight crop from the left. The draping branches on the left side of the frame pull my eye a bit. Overall I really like the contrast between the bare tree on the left and the vibrant trees with foliage on the right. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Excellent image, John. I was thinking along the same lines as @Adam_Bolyard about that branch before reading his comment. I might clone it or play with a crop. Otherwise, processing looks really good to my eye. Love the color palette and mood.

This is really a wonderful image, John. Beautiful woodland scene with a wonderful quiet misty mood. This comp works fine for me as it is and the saturation looks perfect.

A wonderful study in fall colors and texture John. Similar to @Adam_Bolyard and @Harley_Goldman I’ll another vote for a doing something with the branch in the ULC, it has more visual weight than it deserves.

If your oaks are like they are where I live, they are a late fall turning tree. The colors of late fall are generally more muted and subtle, and I think you have captured that more subtle fall story very nicely here. And your handling of the fog is perfect, sharp in front, and soft in back, to create a nice sense of depth.

This is beautiful John! Far better than any of my fog shots. I think Ed’s comment regarding the branch in the ULC is well stated. Otherwise I don’t see anything I would change. Very well done!

I like the interplay between the trees on the left and right. I agree with the suggestion to do something about the hanging branch in the ULC.

This is gorgeous, with lovely muted colors and tonalities. The mist/fog gives a wonderful depth and the framing is so nice, but that branch is the first place my eye went. I love what it could be as a framing element if there were a bit more of it, but I assume there is a reason we don’t get to see more there. I wonder if that entire branch could be lowered in contrat to blend better with the BG, in a graduated fashion almost down to the trunk. If you remove it, the larger branch will pull the viewer out of the frame so I wouldn’t get rid of it, even with cropping.

Other than that I have two suggestions:

1. Print
  2. Frame and hang!

The saturation looks fine to me John as does your composition. I think hanging branch keeps my eye in the frame.