Foggy Oak

Fall oak along the slopes of the Klickitat River Gorge in southern Washington.

As @Steve_Kennedy noted in his recent post, he and I spent four days in October doing a loop out the Columbia River Gorge and back via southern Washington looking for fall color. It was the wettest trip I think I’ve been on, which made life interesting since we were sleeping in our backpacking tents; it was a losing battle to keep gear dry.

Despite that, it was one of the more enjoyable photography trips I’ve been on. We found a lot of color and a lot of variety in conditions, and I’m still sorting through the images. I suspect we’ll both have a bit more from the trip to post. (In contrast, Steve and I spent a long weekend photographing in Olympic National Park in March and I don’t think either of us has posted an image from that trip; the light and time of year were challenging.)

Specific Feedback Requested

Any crop suggestions to better “tidy up?”

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
NIKON Z 7II
NIKKOR Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 VR at 44.0 mm
1/5 sec. at f/8.0 and ISO 64

3 Likes

Looks great to me as is John. The large version has some wonderful details and textures and I think you filled up the frame perfectly with all those beautiful oaks. The fog is a big plus and has simplified the BG in turn showcasing all of the twisty shapes of the trees. Very nicely done. I love rainy days with fog! Sounds like nirvana to me. Looking forward to seeing what you guys came back with.

1 Like

Gorgeous – you earned a whole bunch of awesome images!! I think this one is gorgeous, but had a curiosity which I indulged – lightened at the top with a gradient and cropped a bit there. No clue if it’s better, though.

1 Like

Nice one John! I like the light and how it brings out the contrast in the dark oak trunks. I agree - it was one of the more enjoyable photography trips I’ve been on as well. I totally enjoyed the Olympics trip last March too, even though I didn’t care much for any of the photos I took.

1 Like

Real nice, John. I was thinking along the same lines as Diane, but not quite as much crop. I also desaturated the blues and cyan in the sky to make the foggy look more consistent. A slightly different take.

1 Like

I’ll be contrarian here and say I prefer the original crop. The upper area gives weight to the bottom. Very nice image all around.

1 Like

I am fine with the original crop, but like @Harley_Goldman also wanted to de-saturate the blue/cyan in the upper sky.

1 Like

Thank you all for the comments and feedback.

@Diane_Miller and @Harley_Goldman , thanks for taking the time to post alternates. I like the suggestions!