Fall Flowing

This is one of my favorite views in Washington State. (This is the same area I photographed this image I posted last spring. ) It’s a challenge to get to, because you have to pull really close to the guardrail of the pullout to be able to shoot it without getting out of your car.

@Steve_Kennedy and I spent the first night of our trip camped in the rain in the Klickitat Wildlife area a mile, or so, up the road from this spot. This was our first stop after leaving camp, and we parked in the pullout and hopped out of the car to check out the view. The rich damp oak and the clouds floating lazily below made for a beautiful view, and we both turned back to the car and got our camera gear out. We turned around to set up… and the entire scene was gone. Literally, while we had our backs turned a cloud developed immediately in front of us and when we turned back around all we saw was white fog. Curses may have been muttered.

We packed back up and headed downhill, stopping to photograph oak in the fog along the way. My prior post was taken a short distance down the road from here. Conditions changed rapidly all morning, and we eventually returned here around 11 a.m. to find this scene had fortunately opened back up again.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, including composition, saturation, and color balance.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
NIKON Z 7II
NIKKOR Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 VR at 35.0 mm
1/30 sec. at f/7.1 and ISO 64

2 Likes

Nice dreamy colorful look at this canyon. Getting really picky, I might lightly desaturate the leaves of the big tree toward the edge of the frame LLC, but no other nits on processing. Looks good.

I really like this photo. The view looks just like this in fall. You have reproduced it very well. In spring it is equally beautiful.

Wow, excellent shot, John. It has a Rocky Mountain feeling. Glad you were able to get back to it and catch this nice scene.

I had no idea that the Klickitat watershed was so spectacular. I think the vantage point you chose and the terrain you composed resulted in some wonderful shapes and forms.
You chose a quietly spectacular rendering of the scene. I wondered if other renditions were available, given the strength of the composition. Not sure if you care for going bold, but a lot of colors are available just under the surface of the image. Also could not resist seeing what sort of high contrast monochrome might be available.

Quite the view here, John! Both the spring image and the this one are really lovely. This was well worth the trouble to come back to IMO. I am enjoying the fog in this image and it helps set the mood for this grand view. I can see why this is one of your favorites.

John, this is a great view, made special by the colors and the clouds. Now wonder you were “muttering” when it disappeared. :wink: The modest saturation looks perfect.