Autumn Falls from the Archive

While thinking about going on a fall outing, I remembered a hike a couple years ago. This waterfall is just outside Mt. Rainier National Park off the Pacific Crest Trail. It’s in a very narrow valley and I didn’t have much space to maneuver. This was taken on October 9, 2018.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All feedback welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
D850, 24-70 at 24, ISO 64, f16, 2 seconds, tripod and cable release

This reminds me of the falls we were shooting by Adams, with a main fall and then a side fall to boot. I wonder if water falls across the entire rock face at higher flow?

The main falls have that classic look when the water flow is broken into multiple streams in the cascade; that is very attractive.

On my monitor, this seems overly yellow. Granted it is fall color you were capturing, but even the greens seem quite yellow on my monitor. When i looked at it in Photoshop, it looks like the blue channel is plugged in multiple locations. You might check in the raw file to see what it looks like there; if a bit of blue could be brought back in to the non-yellow components, I think that would look a bit better to my eye.

Well that’s embarrassing! Thanks @John_Williams for pointing out the color cast. I didn’t realize my monitor was so out of calibration. After calibrating I see the water wasn’t white either. I hope this one looks better.

Much better! The colors look more natural to my eye. The yellows on the right are pretty bright; might be worth darkening them a tad to let the eye rest on the falls.

A nice look at this falls. On the repost, I like @John_Williams 's suggestion on the yellows. Depending on how that looks, maybe up the yellow saturation a bit? I might also clone out the foreground sticks coming up from the bottom of the frame.

Your rework of the image with truer colors, especially yellow, is excellent. You have a nice intimate landscape here. As an aside there is an article by Nicholas Kristoff on the Pacific Coast Trail in the latest National Geographic.

Thanks for the comments! @John_Williams and @Harley_Goldman, I darkened the yellows on the right side and added a small amount of yellow saturation.

@Larry_Greenbaum, thanks for the suggestion. I’ll take a look at this.

This one looks great Steve!