Fall in the Fog

![Fall in the Fog]

We have had several incredibly foggy mornings over the last several weeks in Oregon over this fall season, but I have struggled to get out there during one. Well, this morning I got just that opportunity. I liked the combination of color in this image set against the brightly backlit forest and anchored by the tree on the left.

Specific Feedback Requested

I am curious if the composition works to your eyes. Any major distractions?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
I did a focus stack of 4 images on this with the original shot at f/13. I was at ISO 200 which is base for my x-t2.

@compellingimaging

Hmm. For some reason NPN is only showing it too me about 500 pixels tall, which is really hard to critique. Did you post a larger size? Maybe others can see it larger to comment.

1 Like

Not sure why. It seems to display fine on my devices

1 Like

Yeah, I can’t click on the image to get a larger one. Might be a bug in the site…Kyle, you might edit your post and repost the image to see if that works…

1 Like

Well, this is lovely. The warm colors against the cool-ish light fog is wonderful. I think the composition is fine. The largest trunk placed near the edge of the frame is well balanced by the more open area in the rest of the frame.

The one thing that really caught my eye upon first look was that strong green plant at the bottom. It’s the most vibrant color in the frame (and some of it is OOF) and to me it detracts from what is the nicest part of the scene, which is the red & yellow leaves against the fog.

So, I tried a few things to reduce the strength of the green and bring out the reds/yellows more - desaturated and lightened the greens, slightly saturated and brightened the reds/yellows, added a vignette to direct the eye towards the reds/yellows, and cropped to 5:7 ratio to get rid of a bit of that green.

Here are my ideas. In any event, I think it’s a wonderful photo.

P.S. I don’t know if you reposted a new size, but it opened up fine for me, in a large size.

1 Like

Kyle, this opened fine for me too.

The contrast between the warm colorful leaves and the cool background fog is excellent. The processing of the fog looks great, with just the right amount of softness in the background. I also like how you used the mossy tree on the left as a framing element, it really helps hold the composition together.

Kyle, I think the advice/rework from @Bonnie_Lampley provided you with several really helpful suggestions, and strengthens the image. What she has done has placed a much stronger emphasis on the yellow and rust colors, which to me were the most appealing part of this image.

1 Like