Mob scene

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

this was taken under fairly overcast skies with poor lighting conditions and is a large, 20% Of full frame. There is little softness to it. Part of it was due to the Slow shutter speed and some motion of the Tree limb s. but it was a fun image to take. There was a injured Canada goose below the tree and I was waiting for The attack fromThe Eagle but the crows got there first and frightened Eagle away. hopefully I will get another chance with the Eagle. This was taken with an A7R4 and 200 to 600 mm lens with extender.

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

iso-2500, 200 to 600 +1.4 extender, F6 .3, 320th, handheld, Sony A7R4

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Fun interaction shot David which shows a interesting behavior between these birds. Focus on the crow looks good and renders the eagle a little soft as you mention. There seems to be something off with the eagle’s beak. The yellow overhang of the upper beak seems too pronounced. A nice behavioral image.

Hi David. Very nice catch of this behavior. You mentioned the softness and I don’t know if you exposed for the crow, but the whites on the eagle’s head seem a bit blown though that could just be the softness you mentioned. In the largest image, you can notice that weird thing with the beak tip that Allen mentioned. I have no idea what could have caused it unless you had to do some cloning or used the heal tool (often the guilty party) there and picked it up accidentally. Here’s a close up of the area:

Screenshot 2024-06-11 080027

REPOST
I had a lot of problems with this

1 Like

Much, much better, David. The repost is excellent.

Yes, really like the repost.

So, I took this photo from my upstairs deck handheld which is why the eagle is a little soft at 320th sec. The bird must have been moving on the branch because the crow I quite sharp. I tried numerous approaches to improve it but even topaz couldn’t help.

It actually came out very well in the revised version, David. It’s always difficult to tell with the foreshortening of long lenses, but it looks to me as if the crow was a bit behind the eagle and even at fairly long distances, the long lenses don’t have a very big depth of field. The sharpness of the eagle is certainly to the point of being satisfactory, if not “razor” sharp. I wouldn’t throw this one away if it were mine.