Molting Dark-eyed Junco, Oregon Race

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another one from last week when we had some nice overcast to mellow out the light. If molting birds don’t look too ratty, I find them to be interesting subjects.

Specific Feedback

Once again, the background has been pretty heavily doctored. The ferns behind the drip have been well anointed by the birds and those white blotches take some subduing. Let me know if I went overboard.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 @ 600 mm, tripod with gimbal head, f/6.3, 1/400, iso 1600. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped from a horizontal to 3544x4456. Taken August 6th at 1:23 PM under overcast skies.

1 Like

Hi Dennis, great look of this scruffy guy and I think the scruffiness adds to the appeal of the image. Love the head turn and details on the bird look great. The water drops coming off the perch add another element of interest. Perch and BG look good to me. Well done.

Hi Dennis
The lighting really helps punch out the feather detail and eye contact. As for the the water droplets, my first impression was the Junco was sending you a message. You did a good job on the background.
Peter