Mom Plus Five

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was walking along the pond shore when I saw these two geese on the shore. As I got closer, I noticed she didn’t move. Then she started honking for me to go away. I threw her some bread and she stood up for me. I didn’t want to disturb her too much so I didn’t set up a tripod or nothing. Just a few pic’s and I was gone.

Technical Details

canon 5DsR, 70-200mm,

I like the head-on pose with the eggs under her, John. To my eye, the contrast and possibly the saturation in the image looks a bit high. I think you could bring the shadows up a bit to mellow it out a bit. If you’re not averse to altering images, you might also want to remove those two bright green grass blades entering the bottom of the image as they tend to draw my eye a lot. Nice find and well photographed. The detail is excellent in the large image.

1 Like

A nice habitat shot of the goose and eggs; nice detail in the goose. I could see a bit more room on the left and a decrease in the background highlights-for me, the brightness overwhelms the image.

I agree with @Dennis_Plank , bringing down highlights and upping the shadows would help reduce the intense contrast of this scene. Those two blades of bright green in LL also have to go so they don’t detract from the eggs and goose. A very tough challenge to capture this with the light you had but what an impact the image has!

Thank you all for the inputs. Dennis, I respect your comments and agree with what you wrote. I try my best to get the shot I think will work. I don’t have Photo Shop so what you see is all there is, for now.