She's Mine!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was fortunate to be able to see this altercation unfold. It start when the Egyptian Goose on the left started to approach the goose on the right and his mate. He stood off at a distance at first and then he made his move. He flew directly towards the goose and his mate. The goose on the right must have anticipated the move as he quickly sprang out at the aggressor.
There was a lot of honking and splashing as the aggressor goose reversed course and decided his plan wasn’t a good one!

Specific Feedback

With wildlife images I often struggle with making the subject ‘pop’ or really stand out. Any suggestions or ideas on this would be most appreciated. Also, any other suggestions/comments on how I can make the image more appealing would also be appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5 with tripod
Canon EF 600L F4.0, F/8.0, ISO 2000, 1/2500sec
Image was processed in lightroom and photoshop. The main editing was to brighten the eyes and brighten around the face. I also sharpened around the eyes and face.

1 Like

I think your subjects stand out quite well here, although I could wish for a bit more room to both sides. A place for one to come from and the other to go to, so to speak. The opposite wing positions make this very dynamic in terms of movement and contrasting shapes. Those feet! They are upset for sure. I could see taking some of the saturation of out the water if you wanted to bring more attention to the birds. Great catch!

1 Like

I really like the drama you captured here. The look of each of birds tells a lot of what’s going on. I knew right away the one was getting chased away. Nice timing. Like what is suggested, at least a little more on the left for that bird to move into. I think bringing down the background tones will help the splash of the water and the faces of the birds stand out a little more. Darn good moment, so not much more to add to this one. Nice.

1 Like