Mom protecting her cubs

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any and all
does the sky color look ok?
is it sharpened properly?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any and all

Any pertinent technical details:

iso 1600 f10 1/3200 600 mm 1Dx ii

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I really like this photo and am envious of the chance to see these animals. I think the sky is fine - it pretty much looks like the sky outside my window at the moment. I like the perspective of looking up at them. The eye contact with the one cub and the interaction between mom and the other cub really make this image. Thanks for sharing it.

Welcome! This is a fine first post. The kittens are darling, and the interaction with mom is compelling. Sharpening is fine, as is. I’d perhaps s leave a little more room on the left side.
Sandy

1 Like

Wow, what a first post, Frank! I like that they are up a bit, since they are sitting on a hill, it just makes it feel right. The sky looks fine too me, as well as the sharpening looks natural. Well done, and welcome aboard. I hope to see more of your work, and that you enjoy the site.

thank you all for your kind words and comments!
frank

1 Like

Frank, this is a nice moment. I think the sky color is okay–certainly not “unnatural”–but you would know if it’s accurate or not. If you think it should be a bit more blue, a touch of cooling filter would help with that without taking away too much warmth from the cheetahs’ fur. I’ve had to do the same with similar African scenes and tones which came out a bit too warm overall.

I like the composition (I think centering the “peak” of the cheetah hillside is the right choice) and sharpness is fine. I do wonder if you took time to shoot with different settings at all. You had a relaxed subject and ample shutter speed to drop the ISO a bit and still capture some movement. Though the 1DXII handles ISO 1600 just fine, when I have an opportunity I’ll drop down to a lower ISO if I think I can achieve a similar shot with a little less grain. Just curious if they gave you time to experiment in that regard.

Max

Welcome to NPN !
A great post to open your account, It’s a wonderful setting with great subject.
I agree with Max, you didn’t really need that high ISO and shutter speed, a lower setting would have given you a higher IQ.
You may reduce the mid-tones a touch and making the sky more blue would certainly improve the appeal of image.

As everyone has said, this is a fine image with a lot of story telling appeal. As to your question about the sky, to me it is flat and has no life. Definitely worth the time to liven it up.

Hi Frank, I agree on dropping the iso down to about 800 here and you may be able to make the sky a bit bluer by adjusting the white balance. But it’s a wonderful interaction image and composition. The sharpening looks fine.

Gorgeous!
Grt, Ingrid.