Momma Snuggles

I was exploring the coastline on my first day on Vancouver Island when I came across a massive wall, 20 feet tall or more, with a walking path on top, going straight into the ocean. There was lots of wildlife in the area, but I was disappointed. I’m not gonna get good shots of an animal from 20 feet above it! As I approached the stairs to go up and look for a better situation, I noticed a small stairway going down. It was another path! This one led along the wall, but was only about 5 feet tall, with the option to get lower. I opted for this one, obviously. I trudged along with my camera, always looking at the ocean or the path for signs of wildlife (the path was VERY uneven by the way!).

The sun was getting low, and I hadn’t seen anything yet. That’s when I noticed a small head disappear below the surface of the water. Then back up. I thought it was a seal at first, but then 2 more suddenly started swimming beside it. They would swim for a short distance, then dive underwater, then swim, then dive, in a repeating cycle.

I realized they were getting closer to shore and tried to get ahead of them. There were some kids playing on the beach, so I doubted they would go all the way in, but I followed just in case. They were pretty close to the shore now…but then, they turned away and went further out. A few people that had noticed them began to leave, thinking the show was over.

I’m glad I stayed!

Not long after, they swam to a large log pile surrounded by rocks. They started playing and snuggling right in front of me! Not 10 feet from me was a family of River Otters, just playing and exploring without a care in the world! I got loads of photos as one of the pups (born last year) started cuddling and rubbing against his mom. If you’ve ever photographed otters you know that they are always moving. They. Never. Stop. But amongst all the action were some very special moments. When the pup leaned in for some Momma Snuggles, and she leaned her head down on his, I crafted this image, and knew I would be leaving with something more than I had hoped for. I will never forget this amazing experience I was blessed with.

Nikon D600
Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 VR lens at 500mm
ISO 4000
1/320sec @ f/7.1
Handheld

1 Like

Wow! What a great experience and sighting! And also a wonderful image that resulted from your encounter with these. The black and white treatment works really well. A great moment well captured.

1 Like

Killer shot of these fascinating critters. My only tendency would be to pull up the shadows of the fur on the right in order to see it a little better. Just me.

A beautiful composition, Jenaya, and the interaction of the otters is wonderful. The black and white rendition works very well. I like this a lot.

Great subject and cool interaction! The conversion to B&W works well.
I may burn the log to highlight the faces,

Hi,

Try Jagdeep’s suggested edits. Still a killer shot. Well done…Jim

This is a very special shot! The interaction and expressions are really wonderful. I do like the B&W treatment but would agree with Jagdeep on darkening the log just a bit.

1 Like

Jenaya: what an excellent capture of the moment. No nits from me. Richard

1 Like