River Otter family with young

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Had to approach subjects very slowly and was able to get a good shot from across the inlet. The River Otters were sliding down the sandbank into the water and I wanted a group portrait including the youngsters and adult (mother?).

Specific Feedback

general feedback

Technical Details

shot with Sony 200-600lens at 600 mm and Sony A-1 body at f8, 1/2000 sec ISO 640 handheld

1 Like

Hello Larry,

What a gem of a shot! Excellent composition and capture of their behavior. These guys are always so energetic that I’ve never yet been able to get even a good photo of them – let alone one like this. They might benefit from a bit more localized adjustment; I’d like to see them a little more distinctly from one another. If this was my photo, I might just put a stronger contrast curve on the subjects, or maybe add a touch of texture, contrast, clarity to them. Perhaps a tad bit more sharpening on Mom’s face. But either way, I’d print it and frame it for sure! Congratulations on such a marvelous catch!

Now that’s some sandy little group! Nice catch for sure. The little ones look especially attentive - mom’s probably got important lessons! The adult looks much drier than the kids; maybe swimming lessons?

I love the moment and the interaction, your techs look good, but image is not that crisp?
Could be due to hand shake ?