Monarch Butterfly on Sedge grass

I don’t usually go looking for insects. I happen to find them when I looking to photograph wildflowers. I was photographing swamp milkweed flowers when this one landed on sedge grass nearby. Background, especially on the right is a little distracting, cloned out a couple of small stems in left lower corner, toned down some hot spots, as there was backlighting.

What technical feedback would you like if any? any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII + 180/3.5 + tripod
f/8, 1/200, ISO 640
Canon DPP4 Raw converter, PSCC, a small crop to the left, top and bottom.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

The color combinations / contrast caught my eye as well as the detail. Great shot.

Oh Ravi, I’m sure glad you found this beauty. Wonderful colors and details. The background just makes this BF stand out ever so nicely. Great shot.

Ravi, this looks great. The touch of backlighting coming through the wings is a fine extra. It looks like that one leaf is in front for the Monarch, which folks in flora used to call a “cram” shot as it can add oof colors or shapes. Yes, moving a step or two to the left would get it out of the way, but then you wouldn’t be parallel to the butterfly, so you’d lose sharpness somewhere in its body…that’s life in the macro world, always having to make choices.

1 Like

Ravi: The back light on the wings makes this for me as I think it brings out the colors so well. I would be tempted to clean up the right side a bit but this works well as is. >=))>

Bill, Thanks for the repost, I like it a lot. I did some cropping and cleaning the right side of background. Here is the repost. I would have liked more room on the right as in the original posting, but that is the way it is. the encounter was very brief, about a minute or so, so I didn’t have much time to maneuver the space during capture. Lanis, Shirley and Mark, thanks for your comments.

1 Like