Mono Lake Tufas

Tufa, it’s fun to say and they are fun to photograph. This image is from my very first trip to Mono Lake several years ago. I had just purchased my first “real” camera, a Sony a6000. It’s all I could afford at the time, I didn’t care that it was a crop sensor (many photographers don’t consider these as real cameras because it’s not full frame but I do and I still regret that I ever sold this camera). I just new that I wanted to go out and capture what caught my eye, what interested me, what intrigued me, what made me think or what made me feel something. I drove the almost 7 hours to see this magical place with my own eyes, there is nowhere else like it. I had so much fun, I don’t think I even fully comprehended what an f-stop was or the golden ratio. I just wanted to create art and express myself. Fast forward to now, not much has changed other than I understand the technical bits better and I better understand the “rules” so that I can break them :wink:. I feel I have a long way to go until I fully understand who I am as an artist but I’m having fun and loving the journey!

Thanks in part to this group, I’ve come a long way in the years since I took this image. I need to get back up there and redo it.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single Exposure

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

This scene looks good in BW. The lightness of the rocks in the center makes this very appealing. I like the floating objects and overall details in the scene. Might be a tad over sharpened, but perfect for printing. I like it…Jim

1 Like

@andrew_hertel you did really well on this first attempt. Nothing about this image says ‘inexperienced’ to me. The black and white processing works really well for this scene, and you composed it really well. I like the tonal gradient throughout the image and especially like the sweeping line of the water’s edge leading up and around to the tufa… it makes a sort of yin-yang aesthetic with that rock on the left, too. I don’t see the sharpening issues that Jim mentioned, but I’m viewing it with my phone right now, on which images tend to look better with some extra sharpening so maybe that has something to do with it.

Also, impressive that you managed to get a clear shot at this without a hundred tourists in the way :joy:. Last few times I was there it was really crowded.

1 Like

Been here a few times (know just where you were standing) and I’ve NEVER seen the water that calm! In addition to than that good fortune, you made a wonderful image in other ways. Great composition, detail and tonalities and wonderful reflections!

1 Like

That sweeping curve is attractive! The three layers, empty/really busy/less busy works very well for me too. Nicely done.

I’ve never owned a real camera. Ah well, I have fun regardless.

1 Like

Love the tonal richness of this image. This is a really fine image.

1 Like

Thanks @John_Williams, I appreciate the feedback. Too much emphasis is put on the gear and what sensor, etc. some of my most favorite images I’ve created where with this crop sensor. I think mainly because I didn’t care about gear, I just had fun like you said.

Thanks so much @Igor_Doncov, as always I appreciate your thoughtful feedback.

@Dustin_Waits I wish I could say that I was thinking all those things when I composed this image but honestly I just knew the scene looked “good” to me and intrigue me so I photographed it. Call it beginners luck on no people, but mid week does help too. This was back in 2017 so maybe that had something to do with the crowds, IG hadn’t totally blown it up yet.

1 Like

@Jim_Zablotny thanks Jim, my action for sharpening went a little too far on this one but like you said it’s the right amount for printing which I’ve already tested. Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

@Diane_Miller Let’s call it beginners luck with the wind, I’ve been back several times over the years and it’s been very windy every time. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Good choice for B&W. I like the tonal transition from dark to light and the luminosity and texture on the rocks. The image flows well for me.

My only nit is that I would have raised the camera slightly while shooting so that it would allow for a slight separation in the reflection of the rocks on the right hand side with the shoreline.

1 Like

@Nathan_Klein thanks and I’m right there with you. That reflection touching the edge is killing my OCD but as I mentioned this was four years ago and I’ve learned a ton since then. Thanks again for looks and the feedbacks.

1 Like

I was waiting for this comment and fully expecting it. Is this really an issue or is this something we criticize so often that it may fall into one of @Sarah_Marino’s rules that we follow unquestionably? Personally I don’t think it’s a big deal. It would be nice if it were perfect but we obsess over it too much imo. Anyway, you can always clone a bit of water between the reflection and the shoreline if it bothers you.

1 Like

@Igor_Doncov I agree that it is a rule that is followed unquestionably too often. If it were someone else’s image it most likely wouldn’t bother me but since it’s my image it does a little. The only reason that it does bother me is because now (4 years after taking this image) I know that I would correct that issue in the field if possible or at least check to see if having that space improved the image. Most importantly I’m very happy with this image and I like it a lot, that’s really all that should matter, right? Thanks again, I always appreciate your insight and making me put thought into my work.

Igor, I was not familiar with a rule of separation or anything similar. I don’t think the point is whether my suggestion improves the image. I’m of the opinion that one way we as photographers improve our compositions is to analyse our work with the luxury of time in font of the computer. So that we can operate with instinct and gut feel in the field. Part of that process includes assessing different options. What if scenarios if you will which I feel is different to formulaic decisions.

1 Like

I know exactly where you are standing. I’ll bet every photographer who has ever been to Mono Lake has made a photo right from that spot. Not to downplay it, there is a reason that scene is photographed, and you now know why.

It’s funny that you think an a6000 is not ‘real camera’. I remember the days when if you were a landscape photographer, anything less than an 4x5 camera was not a real camera. How quickly things change.

1 Like

Thanks @Youssef_Ismail, it’s such a classic scene. Sorry if my post was confusing, I absolutely think the a6000 is a real camera. This image was from several years ago using that the a6000, I unfortunately listened to people tell me it wasn’t a real camera and sold it. I regret that I ever sold that camera, crop sensors are absolutely real.