Mono Lake Tufa and Shore

My only visit to this place , I was quietly awestruck by the harsh terrain and the still colors of the place. I tried to capture both in this image.
All artistic and technical C&C valued.

f/16 30 seconds 5DIII wide lens, cropped 15%
Had to reduce noise in sky and water; masked off the terrain for that.

I love what the 30 second exposure has done to the water, it has a gorgeous silky smooth look. Looking at the smaller image, it initially appeared like the foreground rocks were too dark, but upon viewing the larger image, and waiting a few seconds for my eyes to adjust, I think there is enough detail there.

The twilight light and colors here are pretty nice, it certainly creates a nice mood. In terms of suggestions, I have two. I think the foreground is excellent, but I wish the tufas were slightly larger in the image. This image might have been a good candidate for focal length blending, using a longer focal length for the top half (the smooth water would have made this blend a breeze to do). And second I could see adding some very gentle dodging to the tufas to reveal a little more detail in them.

Thank you Ed. In this revision, the foreground tufa detail is more evident; does more for the image vision I had in mind.

1 Like

Wonderful that you found some color here - not always the case. And you did a great job of smoothing out the water – it’s very often windy here. The wide angle view is not what is usually seen and it works well with the subtle colors and tones and the peaceful water.