Sunset Tufa, Mono Lake

I was looking for a way to communicate the ancient and surreal nature of Mono Lake in California’s Eastern Sierra

Specific Feedback Requested

How does the composition work? Is there too much space at the top of the image? Is the tufa too dark?

Technical Details

crop of larger image. Canon R5, RF100-500 at 100mm; ISO 100; F25; 20 second exposure

1 Like

Hi Irene! I like this image with its pastel colors! IMHO you don’t have too much space on the top. It balances nicely with the dark tufa on the bottom. However I do think the tufa is a little too dark as very little detail can be seen, but I would not suggest lightening it much as I like the contrast with the water.

Hi!

I always believe the image working is in the eye of the beholder. I really like this image and think the way the stones cascade outward works to draw the eye out. I personally find landscape shots hard to produce the results I want so am always respecting those who can.

Julie

Hello Irene,

So glad you decided to post. While most might recognize the tufa formations, I think the high contrast and condensed presentation does give this quite an abstract quality. I think the color does as well.

I think for a straight landscape image capturing the tufa at Mono Lake, I think the tufa is too dark. However, as you’re presented this, I think the darkness and contrast is working very effectively and I think you were successful in depicting the “ancient and surreal nature” of Mono Lake.

As far as too much up top, I think that’s arguable. I am really enjoying the color and the “to infinity and beyond” impression that the space provides up top; adding to the surreal nature of this. I also like the longer exposure that is ghosting out the water.

I keep looking and trying to think of a crop - but don’t see one that would improve this. I think the intended darkness and the abstract nature of the tufa combine for a successful presentation and take away from Mono Lake.

Lon