Monsoon Sky Fire

That time of year again. Monsoon has started in the Sonoran desert. Always unpredictable (totally clear at the moment), but clouds can build up quickly and sunsets can be quite nice.

This is a bit of an experiment. I wanted to see if the old iPhone could handle the details of a larger scene. I think it did pretty good. I used Topaz Denoise AI to manage the noise, and with Gigapixel AI it prints quite well at 12x16. One advantage of iPhone is that there is no sensor dust to clone out of the sky.

Specific Feedback Requested

I feel it’s a little lacking in overall detail, but still turned out better than expected. Can you tell it’s an iPhone image?

Technical Details

iPhone SE (1st-gen) captured using Adobe Lightroom Camera app.

Wonderful drama – fire in the sky indeed!! I would never have guessed this was an iPhone capture! I’m sure mine (7 Plus) would have blown out the highlights, maybe just to assert itself.

I didn’t know about the LR Camera app – need to look into it!

Tony,

Wow! What a sky! well, technically clouds… :slight_smile: Love the warm>cool transition.

Not sure it matters to me if it was taken on an iPhone… :upside_down_face:

Not sure if you’re inclined, but if it were mine I might bump up the luminosity of the mountains a bit. I do see a teanie bit of light hitting a peak on the right. I would think the glow in the clouds would be imparting some light on the mountains? Minor thought though - the drama of course is in the clouds!

Lon

I, too, like the color contrast and patterns in the sky. The little splash of light on the peaks is a nice detail as well. I think Lon’s suggestion might bring more attention to that. I’m still using that old iPhone model (going on four plus years!) myself, although I only use it to take snapshots but good to know it could work if I didn’t have my full frame mirrorless with me.

After hearing a lot about the TK Actions panel I finally decided to give it a try a few months ago. I love it. Thank you for making it available.

A truly stunning image, Tony. And it speaks to the saying: whatever camera you use is the one you have with you. Would never have thought this was an iPhone shot. Nice.

Does the LR iPhone app capture in a raw mode?

@David_Bostock --Yes, the Lightroom Camera app captures a .dng file, which is a raw file for the image. @Lon_Overacker and & @DeanRoyer – I might explore the light on the mountains a bit more. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like