Monument Valley

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Do you have images that you keep going back to and asking if you got it right? Well this is one for me. Photographed in 2015 with the Nikon D800, it is a four frame panorama. When I visited Monument Valley, I was never quite sure whether I could pull off for a shot or not so when I took this pano, I rushed it and as a result my initial composition was too tight with not enough breathing room at either end, crowding the buttes on either end of the pano. I’ve reedited and expanded the canvas using the new generative fill tool in Photoshop. The other challenge for me was the mixed mid-day lighting. The foreground and buttes were in more muted light, with the sky, particularly in the distance very high key. I’ve tried to balance them here. Appreciate any feedback on this version.

Technical Details

Camera: Nikon D800
Lens: Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8
Focal Length: 48 mm
Exposure: 1/16 sec @ f/22
ISO: 100

1 Like

A classic view for sure. Nothing new here, but a moment that you probably will never forget. The colors look rich, but not unnaturally saturated. Is the landscape faintly bowl-shaped here or is this the result of the pano stitch? I wish for a bit more nuanced light, but the evenness brings its own sense of rhythm and serenity. The added canvas looks natural, too.

I’ve been to Monument Valley numerous times and shot it several but most of my images came out like this one. Not a bad image but not terribly exciting either. I discovered that it’s not the photographer’s fault but the fault of too many rich colors quite often (as with yours) backdropped with a brilliant blue sky.
Kristen also noted a want for more nuanced light and I found several places where I could redirect the light values to create a bit more “depth” both in objectivity and in color. I made 4 selections, loosely in two areas - middle fore and lower right fore and more precise in the sky and foreground. I did a variety of luminosity masking selections using both TK9 and SEP2 as well as working the red and green channels. I did this to push a bit more emphasis to the fore and middle ground areas.