Sunrise MV

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

What struck me the most is the light hitting that sweet spot with the shadows - turns out that the sky was interesting too with those shades of pink - how would others compose ? Put up 3 different horizons

Creative direction

In my eyes I have expressed that golden window reasonably - the rocks did glow this way

Specific Feedback

Open to any view point

Technical Details

Handheld 80-400 Nikon 1/125 sec at iso 200

Description

My first trip to Monument Valley - I had planned the 1/2 hour early morning drive from the hotel to this point - but learnt that this is only accessible now with a Navajo guide - and they have learnt how to milk it! Not only does the outfit charge you an arm and a leg, the guides themselves are quite open about receiving a restaurant style 20% tip - but I did come back with a few keepers!
But they do save you some researching - putting you in favorable spots and seeing creatively ( not applicable to this image though )

Karl, this is a gorgeous image capturing a special moment in a beautiful setting! I like the fact that there is nice detail in the shadows too. The composition at the top (edit-edit-2) is my favorite. I don’t care that the horizon bisects the frame. Sometimes rules are made to be broken. The sky is very pretty, but we have plenty of it and I wouldn’t want to miss any of the canyon detail. Nice job. You got your money’s worth!

Karl, what a sight to see! The reds are aglow and offer a good contrast with the canyon floor. My preference among the three edits is #3 (the one showing E2 in the name). It shows a little more of the canyon floor and the entire scene. I think that brings the viewer right into the scene. I find the first photo (Edit-edit-2) a bit too constrained that up close. This is a beautiful scene you’ve captured.

Karl, you really captured some of the ‘blood red’ colors of the desert. It is amazing at times! I prefer #3 - the one with E2 in the name, for the inclusion of a tiny bit more of the canyon floor. However, I would still like to see a tad off the sky - it’s pretty but not outstanding and the lightness of it draws my eye up and away from the lovely rocks/buttes. I don’t want anything to pull me away from that area. Perhaps if the sky were toned down a bit, it might balance better with the rocks and then leaving it all in would be fine.

I love the evening reds at Monument Valley. I found the same issue that you describe and decided to not deal with the Navajo restrictions. Too bad because it really is a spectacular place under the right conditions. The reds in your image are wonderful, and actually realistic.

Thank you @Ron_Meeker , @brenda_tharp , @Igor_Doncov , @Egídio

Useful suggestions - much appreciated!

1 Like