Moody Hibiscus

Continuing the discussion from Weekly Challenge #1074 (01/29/23 - 02/04/23) Small Scene:

Image:

Description: It’s a small garden scene from our yard but I wanted to create a different mood than what’s often associated with hibiscus.

Specific Feedback Requested:

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Sony A7C, F5.6, 1/200th, ISO250, 100-400mm handheld (192mm).

2 Likes

This is really, really nice. Clear, sharp and tranquil. Have you tried a B&W version? I bet that would be equally great. Bob Engle

Thanks Bob! I haven’t tried it but I will. I love B&W but haven’t really done much with it for closeup flower scenes. I guess the colors of the flowers tend to stick in my head too much.

1 Like

I have found that single flowers, such as this, prove to be exquisite B&W images. If you would, please email me back here your result. Bob

Hey Josh and welcome back to NPN! Hibiscus always make for great subjects with their pastel colors and contrasting throats. This is a beautiful capture; the background is blurry; I like the angle of your shot, and there’s lots of detail when viewing enlarged. Lighting is also nice without being harsh. Just a couple of suggestions- the dead petal should be removed and I would place (when composing) the flower off-center, perhaps a bit to the right.

1 Like

Hi Jim, thanks for your input! And sorry I’ve just been lurking lately, I should contribute more. It really is a great place here.
I’ve never really played with photoshop and removing things, mostly just Lightroom but I might get have a go at it. I know I need to ouch myself a little more. And I think you’re right about cropping the right side. I was debating on that but opted to stay with keeping the definition on the leaves but overall it might be more balanced putting it off center like you mentioned.

1 Like