Hibiscus Flower

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any Canon 5dMk.III, 180 Macro Lens, f 3.5, 1/250 sec., iso 200, hand painted background, denoise and sharpening final edits.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

John Wayne: Looks good to me. We have this same variety in our garden and they have been showing off lately. I like what you’re doing with your BG and it’s sharp in the center details which I think is critical with most hibiscus images. Nicely done.>=))>

John,
The colors of the BG compliment the colors of the hibiscus beautifully. As @Bill_Fach already mentioned your zone of sharpness is right where it needs to be. Nicely done!

Thanks Bill and Ed, I appreciate your input. Hibiscus is my subject of the week and thanks for not correcting my spelling.

A very nice job on the depth of field, John, and the background is really cool. I do think I’d prefer the flower at an angle that would put the pistils against a more contrasting color.

Beautiful variety of hibiscus with good detail and a nice composition. Background colors mimic the flower’s colors and, for me, that lack of contrast doesn’t allow the flower to stand out as much as it could. But, the choice is always the artist’s preference.

Agree, Patricia, on the background. Thanks.
Wayne

Very nice detail and colors. The pistil, particularly shows nice detail and I could see one option being a tight crop to accentuate that part of the flower. I like the background, but I see Patricia’s point that a different background might make the flower stand out more, but it definitely complements the flower. Nice job.

Re-Post to darken background. Using a mask on the flower I darkened only the background.

John Wayne, the original color match between the flower and the background makes an outstanding photo. For me, the overt drama of the repost loses the warm inviting gentleness of the original.

a good dof for a wide aperture. Nice details. I prefer the original background to the repost. Agree with Mark. I do think the pistils look somewhat less prominent because of the color of petals, but not much can be done about it.