Moon Trees

This shot was taken shortly after sunset in the High Fens. A high moor on the German-Belgian border.
Standing there in this surreal landscape I felt like I was on a lonely planet and as if there was no longer any atmosphere separating me from the universe.
Every time I’m there I have this feeling of being in touch with something very old.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m just interested in how it affects them. Any other feedback is also welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nion D750
24-120mm f/4
Iso 200 31mm f/9 1/15sec

1 Like

I love these busted up trees. They make for a very expressive image. The very restrained usage of color and instead relying on tones makes the statement more strongly. I don’t think the moon is necessary. Perhaps a larger moon would have worked. The gradient sky works well with the statement.

My same thoughts here on the moon, Martin. The small moon does not hurt this fine image, but a slightly larger one might really enhance it. The decaying trees and barren landscape, along with the moon, provides a strong eerie feeling to the scene. Which is a good thing from my POV… :+1:

This is a superb image. The more I look at it the better I appreciate it. This is just a theory but it seems to me that you applied a gradient to the sky and it’s affected the upper section of the tree. Perhaps you can create a mask for the lighter tones in that area and apply the gradient, thereby avoiding the tree. Oh, and this would look better without the moon in my opinion. It’s a distraction. Such an emotional scene.

![DSC_6680-HDR|333x500](upload://gj

0aqx3XxV75ZvFlkt1dflHg3MO.jpeg)Hey @Igor_Doncov @Paul_Breitkreuz I am very pleased that you like it. It’s been a while since I edited the picture so I don’t remember exactly what I did. It was important to me that I get a small part of the dark blue sky to get the feeling of the universe. Interesting what you and @Paul_Breitkreuz

say to the moon. For me it was a very important part of this composition and an important highlight. At that moment it was so special for me that it was there in the sky and I was able to incorporate it.

But that’s exactly what I’m getting at. How does the picture affect the viewer who doesn’t have the experience in the field. It’s just a little thing that takes the whole picture and its composition in a different direction.

I upload the original image once so you can see if the background processing has affected the tree.
And once without a moon.
Many thanks and best regards.

This image has to be seen large in order to really appreciate it. The I love the gnarly nature of the limbs and branches and the debris from the top of the right tree on the ground. This really tells a story. The moon doesn’t add anything significant so I would clone the moon out. I love the tilt of the limbs on the left tree and the out of character half circle. Friends forever. I really like it.

Martin, obviously the trees are the main subject here. So the moon removal works better than the small moon. I’ve attached a rework where I merely did a Free Transformation and pulled the moon open a bit. Regardless, it was only to show another look as the trees hold the scene very nicely by themselves.

This image makes me think of an extraterrestrial parent and child in conversation. I’m a sci-fi nerd so I’m loving this.