Hanging Moon

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

If you look closely at my prior image, the moon is just beginning to peek out from the edge of Mount Jefferson a little below the summit:

After shooting the big view, I thought it would be fun to photograph the reflection of the moon hanging in the saddle. I’d like to have explored alternate compositions, but time only allowed me to switch lenses and shoot this.

Specific Feedback

This was a for fun shot, but any thoughts and suggestions always appreciated.

Technical Details

NIKON Z 7II
NIKKOR Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 VR at 85.0 mm
1/5 sec. at f/6.3 and ISO 64
11 images blended with Helicon Focus for DOF

Very cool! I’m a sucker for moons. I especially love the reflection shot, and now I see clearly what felt like broken-up structure in the mountain’s reflection. The way the snow areas become water is surprising and amazing!

1 Like

That’s lovely! Diane is right - the way the snow reflection fades into the water is cool. The only things that I find distracting are the two dark, cool rocks on the left and bottom. Because they’re darker and cooler than everything else in the frame, and they’re touching the frame edge, they draw my eye away from the center. I tried warming and brightening them up, but the one on the left still felt odd. So I tried cropping from the left. I don’t think you lose too much that way.

1 Like

Both images are lovely. @Bonnie_Lampley makes a good point about the rocks at the bottom. They could be easily removed with the remove tool on PS 2024. Although they are quite different, i am drawn to the second image. The lighting, especially the orange is terrific. I might paint in more of the orange coming from the sky at upper right. The orange streaks across the sky would really add to the image, just don’t over do it to keep the sky lighting soft. Nice images.

1 Like

John,

Great eye to see and then capture this. These scenes are often overlooked in favor of the grand view. Kudos for catching this.

I agree with Bonnie on the rocks and was thinking the same thing before reading any comments. I might go further and crop the bottom rock as well with perhaps some trimming on top and right to retain some balance. But for sure the reflection and moon remain the primary focus.

Lon

1 Like